Can you say World Cup? It’s the number one sport in the world for good reason. The athleticism of the players, the action, the emotion, and the ability to unite a nation. Soccer (futbol) is fast and fun and has some common injury patterns that include
- Sprains and strains: Sometimes a sudden sprint movement can lead to an injury to the hamstrings, quadricep, or hip flexor muscles. This is more common later in a game when tired and dehydrated.
- Calf Strain: Sometimes soccer can develop a calf strain from running. Its thought that the flat soccer cleats and dehydration can contribute to both a calf strain and calf cramping.
- Thigh contusion: This can occur if two players collide or during a ball related challenge
- Hamstring strain: Due to all the running and sprinting, hamstring strains are common in soccer.
- Ligament injuries: There are four knee ligaments that can be injured in sports like soccer and benefit from early assessment and treatment
- Patellofemoral Pain: This is a common cause of knee pain in running sports and teens and benefits from diagnosis and treatment of the underlying contributing factors
- Meniscal tear: The shock absorbing meniscus between the bones of the knee can be vulnerable to twisting and shearing force during running resulting in a tear.
- Patellar Tendinitis (Jumper’s knee): This is a common cause of anterior knee pain and can be difficult to treat in soccer players who have very little opportunities to rest during the year. At Sports Health Northwest, we have some effective and minimally invasive treatment options.
Foot and Ankle
- Achilles tendonitis: Pain in the back of the ankle along the achilles tendon is common in soccer due to the running and jumping activity.
- Achilles tendon rupture: Can occur if the tendon is inflammed and weakened and is an injury seen in ageing soccer players
- Ankle sprains: Are common in baseball due to the speed and running on the soccer pitch. Sometimes ankle sprains are more serious injuries like fractures or high ankle sprains benefiting from early diagnosis and treatment
- This injury can occur from a collision with another player or heading incorrectly and results in a transient alteration in brain function. We can help with improving your symptoms and safely returning you to the soccer field.
***If you are suffering from one of these injuries, or any other injury, schedule an appointment with Sports Health Northwest We want to help you get back to sport.